Welcome to Atlanta Youth Sports Association's recreation flag football leagues, where children can develop their football skills and love for the game in a safe and fun environment. Our leagues prioritize learning and enjoyment over competition, and are divided by grade level. Playoffs and championships are not a part of our leagues, as we believe in equal playing time for every child. Our aim is to create a welcoming and inclusive atmosphere that nurtures teamwork, sportsmanship, and personal growth on and off the field. Our dedicated volunteer coaches receive comprehensive training and resources to provide the best experience possible. We appreciate you considering Atlanta Youth Sports Association flag football for your child's sports journey.
Practices will be held once a week on a weekday, and all games will be held on Saturday's.
We understand that families need time to plan their schedules, which is why we will post and share the schedules for all of our recreation leagues one week prior to the start of the season. We want to ensure that everyone is aware of the game times and locations well in advance, so there are no surprises. However, please note that there may be some changes to the schedule during the season due to elements beyond our control. We will do our best to communicate any changes as soon as possible and make adjustments to minimize any inconvenience. At AYSA, we prioritize transparency and open communication with our families to provide the best experience possible for our young athletes. Thank you for choosing AYSA for your child's sports activities.
- 3rd-5th Grade will play on 40 yard fields 5v5
- 6th-8th Grade will play on 50 yard fields 6v6
- 9th-12th Grade will play on 50 yard fields 7v7
- All passes must be forward and received beyond the line of scrimmage
- Only direct handoffs are permitted—there are no laterals or pitches anywhere on the field
- The quarterback has seven-second pass clock to get rid of the ball
- The quarterback can’t run with the ball unless it was handed off first or they are blitzed
- Offensive players must steer clear of the rusher and may not get in his/her way (No Blocking)
- Any defensive player lined up seven yards off the line of scrimmage is eligible to rush the QB once per possession. They must yell “BLITZ” prior to rushing the QB
- If the ball is handed off, any defender may rush
- Interceptions are not returnable, defensive team will play from the spot of the interception (even on extra point attempts)
- The ball is dead when it hits the ground, the offensive player’s flag is pulled from their belt, the ball-carrier steps out of bounds, or the ball-carrier’s body—outside of their hands or feet—touches the ground
- All offensive flag football penalties result in a loss of down and yardage
- All defensive flag football penalties result in an automatic first down and some are associated with yardage
- The offensive team will have 4 downs to reach the mid field point, once they cross midfield that will result in a 1st down and must score on their final four possessions
- A “no run zone” will be in effect at the 5 yard line prior to the endzones and mid-field/first down lines.
- Touchdowns are worth 6 points, The offensive team will declare which extra point attempt they will make after scoring a touchdown
- A 1 point play can be converted from the 5 yard after a touchdown is scored (No Run Zone is still enforced).
- A 2 point play can be converted from the 10 yard line after a touchdown is scored.
Practices are one hour with a goal of 50 minutes of content. Games are also scheduled in hour blocks.
Practices are predominantly on weeknights and games are predominantly on weekends
Rainouts will be communicated by staff to all players and coaches in a timely manner.
Rainouts for practices and practices will not be made up. If there is a rainout on a game day, the next scheduled practice day maybe used to make up the game
Yes! A 10% discount will be automatically applied at checkout if you are registering multiple children
Leagues are built with 8 weeks of programming. We will make every effort to reschedule any postponed events due to rain, taking into consideration the availability of the facilities we use
AYSA is a great place to introduce your child to a new sport! AYSA focuses on levels of play and will ensure each player grows and develops as player all while having fun and leading a healthier life style!
Once registration closes we will communicate with parents on team placement. Please note that for age groups with evaluations we will host evaluations and place players after evaluations and drafts are completed to ensure parody amongst the teams.
Schedule will be release 1 week prior to the start of the season
Yes, all coaches will be automatically paired with their child unless specifically requested
You have two options: Upon registration you will be prompted a question on your intent to be a volunteer coach or not. or Please click this link (Coaches Registration) to register to be a volunteer coach
No experience is necessary, just a passion to teach our children. All coaches will attend a mandatory training where we will provide all the tools and information you would need to coach your sport.
Yes when registering there is a section where you can specifically request for a coach or player, although we cannot guarantee a spot with them we will do our very best to keep friends together.
All players will need to bring a water bottle and wear athletic shoes. Footballs will be provided by AYSA, players are allowed to wear gloves if they wish to
Everyone will receive uniforms from their coaches during your first week of team practices
Teams for non- evaluation age groups (Kinder-3rd Grade) will be formed at random and/or teammate requests.
Evaluation based age groups (4th Grade and Older) will have players attend evaluations and the players will be selected evenly amongst coaches for fair/equal team levels
Yes we do ask that all athletes have at least one parent or guardian present at the fields at all times for safety issues. If you have multiple children participating at the same time, we do ask that you stay with your younger child but notify your other child's coach incase of any emergencies.
Each team will have a max capacity of double the playing capacity for that specific division (e.g. 5v5 flag football will have a max team capacity of 10)